Skip to main content

Presenting at 2014 International Symposium on Micro-NanoMechatronics and Human Science (MHS) in Nagoya University, Japan

Assalamualaikum and hello there!

Presenting at conferences is part and parcel of being a postgraduate student. In my case, all the conferences I have attended so far were held locally in Malaysia. I was sort of 'saving the best for last' actually. I had planned to present my papers at international conferences during my final year. Also, during the first two years of my study I was busy collecting and analyzing data.

When I received the CFP for the MHS2014 conference in April 2014, I was immediately hooked. Perhaps because Nagoya University is place where my supervisor, Dr Hanafiah Yussof had studied for his PhD and post-doc.

So Nagoya University, here I come!


Alhamdulillah, two papers from my research team in HuRoBs, UiTM were accepted for the conference and will automatically be published as online proceedings on IEEEExplore.
Mohd Azfar Miskam, Syamimi Shamsuddin, Mohd Ridzuan Abdul Samat, Hanafiah Yussof, Husna Ahmad Ainudin and Abdul Rahman Omar. "Humanoid robot NAO as a teaching tool of emotion recognition for children with autism using the Android app." In Micro-NanoMechatronics and Human Science (MHS), 2014 International Symposium on, pp. 145-149. IEEE, 2014. 

Mohd Ridzuan Abdul Samat, Syamimi Shamsuddin, Mohd Azfar Miskam and Hanafiah Yussof. "Development of face recognition algorithm for enhancement of social communication of robotic assistive autism therapy." In Micro-NanoMechatronics and Human Science (MHS), 2014 International Symposium on, pp. 325-329. IEEE, 2014.


For both papers, the presentations were scheduled in the last parallel sessions of the day on the 10th and 11th November 2014.

The fourth presenter for the MP2-2 Session on 10th November
The third presenter for the TP2-2 Session on 11th November
On the first day of the conference (10th November 2014, Monday), I took the subway to Nagoya Daigaku station (Meijo Line). The conference was held at the Noyori Conference Hall in Nagoya University in Higashimaya Campus.


Nagoya Daigaku subway station
Alhamdulillah, safely arrived at the venue :)
Finding the conference hall was easy since there were plenty of signage to guide participants to the venue.

Location of the Noyori Conference Hall from the exit number 2 of the Nagoya Daigaku subway station
The conference program actually had began on 9th November with the 2014 International Micro Robot Maze Contest. Paper presentations were scheduled on the second and third day of the conference.


Full program for 10th November 2014
Beautiful and windy morning at Nagoya University
Registration: I was the first participant to arrive at the hall :p
Welcoming remarks from Prof Tatsuo Arai, Osaka University
Opening remarks from Prof Toshio Fukuda, Nagoya University, Japan. He is the Honorary Chair of MHS2014 
Papers accepted for the conference were divided into paper and also poster presentations. After the plenary talks were concluded, lunch began at 12.00 pm. Then, the conference agenda continued with poster exhibition at 12.50 pm. I got the opportunity to look at research findings by other participants who were mostly postgraduate students from Nagoya University and Osaka University.



Lots of brochures on future IEEE conferences in Japan and all over the world for 2015
A poster by one of the participants
Poster by Mohammad Azzeim bin Mat Jusoh, a lecturer from Faculty of Mechanical Engineering UiTM who is currently studying in Nagoya University
A momento picture with my supervisor, Dr Hanafiah Yussof
En Mohammad Azzeim, myself, En Amiruddin Fikri and Dr Sukarnur Che Abdullah: the UiTM delegates
With Prof Toshio Fukuda
Finally, it was time for my parallel session to start at 4.45 pm. I would like to thank the organizer for giving the opportunity for me to be a session chair, together with Professor Kosuke Segiyama.


Important notes for the session chair
Me as the session chair :)
My turn to present my paper titled 'Humanoid robot NAO as a teaching tool of emotion recognition for children with autism using the Android app'
Explaining about the interfaces in the Android App to control NAO robot
Question and answer session

Alhamdulillah, the first day of the conference and paper presentation went well. A few questions were raised by the audience and I managed to answer the best way possible according to my knowledge.

The second day of the conference also dawned beautifully at the Nagoya University. This time around I brought my sister along to give her some initial exposure on the looks and contents of an academic conference.


My beloved sister: companion and photographer for the day :)
In front of the conference hall
Presenting my second paper titled 'Development of face recognition algorithm for enhancement of social communication of robotic assistive autism therapy'

I was truly happy after presenting both papers. This was my first time presenting in an international conference outside Malaysia. The wonderful experience gained will definitely be useful in future events, insya Allah.



Not forgetting, the CFP for the next MHS is already out. To all interested researchers, you are most welcome to send in your papers and be part of MHS2015 next year.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is a hooding ceremony?

I have always been intrigued by this event called 'the hooding ceremony' since I began my student life in UiTM about 3 years ago. This term always come to my attention and 'pops out' during the UiTM convocation ceremony. Yesterday I saw a post on the hooding ceremony (again) when my other half was browsing through IPSis UiTM's FB page. IPSis wrote that 52 PhD graduates had successfully completed their studies in UiTM and will receive their scroll in the 81st convocation ceremony. Picture take from IPSis UiTM's Facebook page Another picture take from IPSis UiTM's Facebook page Now, what is a hooding ceremony? It is simply a ceremony held for students graduating with a master’s or PhD degree. The placing of the hood signifies the passage from student to 'master's' or ‘PhD'. The hooding ceremony and recognition of students’ accomplishments draw attention to the scholarly and the personal achievements of the candidates for g

Call for Participants: PhD Forum during IEEE-IRIS2015 Conference in Langkawi (19th October 2015)

“ It always seem impossible until it’s done ”- Nelson Mandela Are you facing difficulties during your PhD study? Feeling like your path to PhD is a lonely journey? Or you have just had your Viva and have lots of experience to share with others? Come and join this special event for aspiring, current and future doctorates! Completing a PhD is an odyssey. In fact, successfully undertaking a PhD degree requires self-determination, diligence, and the capacity for critical but constructive thinking as well as a thorough understanding of the relevant academic discipline. The PhD (Doctoral) Forum is one of many special programs organized as part of the 2015 IEEE 3rd International Symposium on Robotics and Intelligent Sensors (IEEE-IRIS2015). The 3-hour, interactive session will be held on the second day of the symposium (19 th October 2015). PhD Forum aims to p rovide a setting for mutual feedback on participants' current research projects and guidance on future

🌻 NEW BEGINNINGS 🌸

Assalamualaikum wbth and good day hi everyone!  It is now July 2023 and I’m so excited to start this new chapter in my life 😊. I am happy to share that I am now a lecturer/researcher at the Advanced Medical and Dental Institute (AMDI), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) in Kepala Batas, Pulau Pinang. Wish me luck! “ Be in this world as if you were a stranger or a traveler. ” ~Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) The only constant thing in this life is change. Hence, new beginnings, and new adventures for me. Let's do this!  💃🏻 My last day at the Faculty of Manufacturing Engineering, UTeM, Melaka (June 2023) Reminiscing: my last working day at the Department of Higher Education, MOHE, Putrajaya (September 2022) For any proposals to collaborate just reach out to me at syamimi.s@usm.my. ✌