Skip to main content

Have You Thought About: Publishing Your Thesis as a Book?

Assalamualaikum and hi :)

Do you know that "My PhD” in Dutch is "Mijn Doctoraat"? Just so you know.

Anyway, this will be just a short post. My mind has been entertaining the idea of publishing my thesis, insya Allah once I've finished writing it. I came across this notion for the first time many years ago when I met a senior colleague who just got back from his PhD study in TU Leuven. He said that his thesis was published as book, complete with ISBN number. 

You and I know that in most universities (especially Malaysia), thesis are published as hardcover manuscripts which are then archived in the library, accumulating dust over the years and not accessible to be referred or cited by academia. What a huge waste!

Then recently I met another young lady who had just completed her PhD at TU Delft. Also, same story. She had printed over 100 copies of her thesis-book. Amazing.

So this is my dream. Publishing my own thesis as a book. 



Also, there are actually publishers who publish this type of publications. Head on over to Springer Theses Series for example. The content of the series is available to millions of readers worldwide and, in addition to profiting from this broad dissemination, the author of each thesis is rewarded with a cash prize equivalent to € 500.

Or you could try VDM Publishing Group where manuscripts are published free of charge for all authors.

Please bear in mind that  your thesis may contain content which is copyrighted to others that you will need permission from rights owners to include in publication.

Till next time. Take care peeps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🌻 NEW BEGINNINGS 🌸

Assalamualaikum wbth and good day hi everyone!  It is now July 2023 and I’m so excited to start this new chapter in my life 😊. I am happy to share that I am now a lecturer/researcher at the Advanced Medical and Dental Institute (AMDI), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) in Kepala Batas, Pulau Pinang. Wish me luck! “ Be in this world as if you were a stranger or a traveler. ” ~Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) The only constant thing in this life is change. Hence, new beginnings, and new adventures for me. Let's do this!  💃🏻 My last day at the Faculty of Manufacturing Engineering, UTeM, Melaka (June 2023) Reminiscing: my last working day at the Department of Higher Education, MOHE, Putrajaya (September 2022) For any proposals to collaborate just reach out to me at syamimi.s@usm.my. ✌

What is a hooding ceremony?

I have always been intrigued by this event called 'the hooding ceremony' since I began my student life in UiTM about 3 years ago. This term always come to my attention and 'pops out' during the UiTM convocation ceremony. Yesterday I saw a post on the hooding ceremony (again) when my other half was browsing through IPSis UiTM's FB page. IPSis wrote that 52 PhD graduates had successfully completed their studies in UiTM and will receive their scroll in the 81st convocation ceremony. Picture take from IPSis UiTM's Facebook page Another picture take from IPSis UiTM's Facebook page Now, what is a hooding ceremony? It is simply a ceremony held for students graduating with a master’s or PhD degree. The placing of the hood signifies the passage from student to 'master's' or ‘PhD'. The hooding ceremony and recognition of students’ accomplishments draw attention to the scholarly and the personal achievements of the candidates for g...

UiTM 104th HOODING CEREMONY FOR THE PhD GRADUATES ON 5TH MAY 2026

Assalamualaikum wbth and good day Hello everyone :) About ten years ago, I wrote about the hooding ceremony for UiTM’s PhD graduands. At that time, I shared my thoughts on how meaningful this ceremony was, not only for the students but also for the supervisors who had walked alongside them throughout their doctoral journey. The Hooding Ceremony is a special recognition ceremony for doctoral degree students. During the ceremony, the supervisors and their students are invited on stage for a photo session, symbolising the successful completion of the PhD journey. It is a simple yet deeply meaningful moment, as it reflects years of hard work, perseverance, sacrifice and academic growth. This year, I felt truly honoured and proud to be part of the hooding ceremony for my PhD student, Dr. Muhammad Aliff Rosly . Although I served as his co-supervisor, the joy I felt was no less meaningful. Seeing a student complete a PhD is always a special experience. It reminds us that supervision is not on...